Selecting the right real estate agent can make all the difference.
When it comes to selling your home, choosing the right real estate agent is crucial. The real estate market can be competitive, and making the wrong choice could cost you thousands of dollars. Today, we’ll explore why it’s essential to hire an experienced full-time agent and provide tips on how to select the best person for the job.
Recent news highlighted the presence of marginal agents, those with five or fewer sales per year, who account for a significant portion of home sales in the U.S. While their numbers are large, these agents lack the experience and training necessary to handle complex transactions effectively. According to a Consumer Federation of America report, approximately 1.5 million agents are vying to sell 5 million homes, leading to wasted time and money for both consumers and experienced agents alike.
Working with part-time, untrained, unethical, or incompetent agents can lead to a host of problems. Sellers might incur additional costs, face frustration, and experience delays in the selling process. To avoid these issues, it is crucial to seek out a full-time, experienced agent.
“When it comes to selling your home, choosing the right real estate agent is crucial.”
Some common mistakes when hiring a real estate agent can spell disaster for sellers. Making a decision based solely on friendship or personal liking might lead to disagreements and a lack of professionalism. Additionally, if agents provide an inflated asking price, it can result in extended periods on the market and uncertainty for sellers.
To ensure a smooth and successful home selling experience, there are several critical factors to consider when hiring an agent:
1. Exposure matters. Ensure that your chosen agent offers full exposure to the public and other active agents in the area. Limited exposure or off-market sales might hinder your home’s potential and limit your profits.
2. Relevant experience. Look for an agent with experience in your local area or the specific market you’re targeting. Out-of-area agents may struggle to accurately price your home or attract the right buyers.
3. Beware of paid listings. Be cautious when selecting agents listed as “premier” or promoted on certain websites. These positions may be paid for, rather than being indicative of their skills and qualifications.
4. Verify team statistics. If considering agents from larger teams, ensure you are comparing the individual agent’s performance rather than relying solely on team statistics.
5. A proactive approach. Seek an agent who actively seeks out potential buyers for your home, rather than one who solely relies on other agents to bring buyers.
6. A detailed action plan. Choose an agent who provides a comprehensive plan of action, explaining how they intend to sell your home effectively.
Selling your home can be a daunting task, but selecting the right real estate agent can make all the difference. Avoiding the hidden costs associated with marginal agents is crucial. By carefully considering an agent’s experience, approach, and ability to deliver results, you can maximize your chances of a successful and profitable home sale. If you have any questions or need further information, feel free to contact us at (562) 316-2915. Happy home selling!